Saturday 1 October 2011

Just got back from New Jersey and New York City

I just got back from New Jersey and New York City. It was a bit rainy but it was a wonderful time. I attended the Graduate Architecture School and Career Expo at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark. It was my first experience taking the light rail and to be honest you do not want to go past the NJIT stop. At the next stop, which was Norfolk Station, it was a rough looking neighbourhood.

It was OK then since I walked towards the NJIT campus. The most welcoming sight was the Subways sandwich shop at the corner. A 3rd year grad student gave me a tour of the architecture building and the graduate studios in the EIT building.

The next day, the Graduate Architecture School and Career Expo was in full-swing. We had the Director and Dean from the School of Architecture at NJIT talk about how to select a school. We also had a member from NCARB talk about licensure. I spoke with representatives from several top schools, like University of  Michigan, Harvard and Sci-Arc. Also University of Houston and Boston Architectural College.

Grabbed a book about architecture schools published by the ACSA.

Ground Zero was looking like the construction was progressing nicely. The museum by Snohetta was almost complete and the Freedom Tower by SOM was half complete. Also saw an exhibit on architecture at the Museum of Modern Art. There's a model of a Bridge City that's worth looking at.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that I also received a guided tour by a local of the Highline- an elevated railroad track that was converted to a park. Anyway, I saw a Frank Gehry Building as I walked along it and also saw a Neil Denarii building that incorporated a truss into the curtain wall. Cool. The Highline was situated in the trendy Meatpacking District of the Upper west side of NYC.

    ReplyDelete